Halo's First Day

Halo's First Day

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Halo's first day at SERC

Today didn't turn out the way I planned it to. Then again, it rarely does. But today it turned out well, because Halo came to work with me!

I got a phone call saying that Halo was barking and crying a lot, probably due to the painting that was going on right outside of the condo at which she stays during the day. She was quiet by the time I arrived, but I decided what the heck -- I'll just bring her to work with me for the rest of the day.

I tried to keep it low-key for her first time there and didn't go around showing her off, but as the afternoon went on the word started to spread! At first, she was just lying in her crate next to my desk but then the parade began! My colleagues started come to see her, and everyone absolutely loved her. She was very well behaved for being in a whole new place with so many people around. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to the work world! My coworkers were so conscious and respectful of her status as a working dog in training and helped me make sure she wasn't jumping up or misbehaving. I had quite a few volunteers to help me with puppysitting when needed! Dawn Gosselin and Matt Dugan made it a point to come to our office building to visit Halo even though they were down the street at the library building. Nothing like a cute puppy to liven up the day.

By the end of the afternoon, she was lying under my desk like a fully trained service dog, just keeping an eye out for me and awaiting my next move. Who could ask for more out of an 11-week-old puppy that has only been with me for a little over two weeks? She is going to make on awesome guide dog!

I was so proud of Halo's behavior and friendliness, but mostly I was impressed with the way in which Halo's presence created smiles, laughter, joy, and happiness. The way that she lifted the spirits of everyone who saw her was completely priceless.Everyone keeps asking how long I will have her, and how I'm going to handle having to give her back. Today was just a glimpse of the future; it won't only be me who has to give her back, it will be all of SERC.

No comments:

Post a Comment